Setting up additional Security for Windows System using Syskey Utility
Basically, Windows have the feature of security by adding user password. But if you are not satisfied with a single password on startup you can set an additional password by Syskey utility. Syskey utility is an inbuilt feature of windows of securing data by using 128-bit encryption. You can add the Syskey password on a system which is asked on windows startup. without this password, the window will not be able to boot. And no one can’t reach to the user password without the Syskey password.
Also read: – Hide and Show text in Notepad using Command Prompt.
After this, your system will firstly ask for Syskey password and then the user password. In this way, your system will have two layer security. In general Windows, user passwords can be compromised easily by any geek who has physical access to your system. Because there are different types of tools are present on the internet nowadays for this purpose such as crack, reset and unlock Windows user password. So it is necessary to secure your system from this type of threats. So to enhance login security of a system we use Syskey Password utility which is an inbuilt feature of Windows Operating System.
Syskey is the utility that encrypts the hashed password information in SAM database in a windows system using a 128-bit RC4 encryption key that, by default, is stored in the windows registry. Syskey can optionally be configured to require the user to enter the key at boot time as a startup password or load it on removable storage media (e.g., USB flash drive). Generally, windows have a feature of security by adding a user password. But if you are not satisfied with a single password on startup you can set an additional password by the Syskey utility.
How to set Syskey password on Windows systems for additional Security
To enable Syskey on your system follow these steps:-
1. First of all open Syskey Utility on your system. To do so open Run Search box using Windows Key+R then type syskey in it and press enter button to proceed.
2. Now you can see that a new window will open on your system. In the Securing the Windows Account Database dialogue box, check that the Encryption Enabled option is selected and it is the only option available on it. After that click on Update Button as figure shown below.
3. Now again a window will appear on your screen with the name of startup key in which select ‘Password startup‘ from bullet box. If you want to require a password to start the Windows operating system.
4. Now type the password and confirm the password and then click on ok. (Always prefer a strong password that contains a combination of upper case and lower case letters, numbers and symbols. Also, the startup password must be 12 characters long so it is unguessable by others and your system will be safe from dictionary attacks also.)
5. If you do not want to add a password at startup then you can also secure your system with Syskey utility with the help of a physical drive such as Floppy Disk and System Hard Drive also.
6. To do so select second option System Generated Password from Startup Key dialogue box on your system and choose one of the options that are given under this section according to your need.
- Password setup = a simple password for which system will ask for while startup.
- System generated password = system will ask you for a key which you can store in your external storage device like USB and Floppy Disk.
7. After that click on the OK option two times to complete the procedure.
8. Now the startup password will be set on your system. So whenever you start your system it will ask for both startup password as well as user password. And all your data will be secured.
Note: – This utility can be used on the versions of Windows that are older than Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. Because in Newer Versions of Windows 10 Support of Syskey Utility is removed due to some technical Issues. Remember use this at your own risk because if you lost your key or floppy disk. then your all of the data will be encrypted under Syskey and you can not ever decrypt it without Syskey Password. So always remember your password.
This is the whole process by which you can easily secure your Windows system within minutes and this procedure is the same for all version of Windows older than Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. If you have any queries regarding this then simply solved out through the comment section and provide feedback to us. Also, follow our blog for further updates and share it with your friends and family.